3 Things That Keep Me Writing


We've all had those days when the last thing we want to do in the world is write. Where characters misbehave and you've had a writers' block for the last week and you have that huge gaping plot hole that you have absolutely no idea how to fix and then you go check your blogger feed and everyone is posting on how they wrote 20k words in a day and how everything is going really well and you just want to chuck your computer out of the window.

Well, first of all, please don't throw your poor computer #computerlivesmatter

And second of all, we all have those days

TRUST ME


But there are usually some things that always keep us writing even when we vow to never write again. Here are 3 things that keep me writing.

1. My Characters

Even though I put my characters through a lot of trauma, I still really love them. And like, they are one of the major things that make me return to my stories time and time again. Characters are basically our children! Who am I kidding, they are! We created these people. Came up with their looks, their personalities, their dreams, their fears.


And it's no wonder we get attached to our characters. First, we created them, and then we spend a LOT of time with them.

2. My Imagination

HONESTLY

MY MIND WON'T LET ME STOP WRITING

Every single book I read, every movie I watch, they all cause a million little ideas to come to life in my head. I couldn't stop writing even if I tried.


That's one of the most beautiful things I find about being a writer: Having an imagination that can come up with whole worlds! Whole histories, lives, people. And then filling in thousands of little details.

3. My Desire To See How The Story Ends

Okay, yeah.


We might have weirdly detailed outlines but that doesn't mean writers know EXACTLY how the story is going to end. They might have a pretty good idea, but ask any author and my guess is that they'll tell you that they didn't expect their story to end the way it did.


So yeah! Those are 3 things that bring me back to my writing. What about you? What are some things that get you to write again even when you never want to look at your WIPS ever in existence?

10 comments:

  1. YES to all three of these! I think I might die of plot bunnies' attacks if I didn't write. xD And I can't just abandon my characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loll!! Plot bunnies ain't like regular bunnies

      They are lethal

      Yes! Characters have a weird way of wrapping themselves up in your emotions

      Delete
  2. Ha, yes! Especially that "see how the story ends" bit. Since I do a bit of pantsting, I don't always know just how exactly the story will end, and I WANT TO KNOWWWWW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, idk how I would do as a pantster xD At least I have a semi-bit of knowledge of how exactly Imma end my story lol

      Delete
  3. Ceci. I. Love. This. Post. So. Much. <333 I needed this so badly today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES ALL THESE THINGS. Also the feeling of "If I never write it, nobody will understand/know about that (blank)scene."

    BTW! I finally published the Sunshine Blogger Award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great reasons! Especially the characters!!!

    ReplyDelete

Heylo there! I see that you're about to comment, thank you! I have comment moderation on posts older than 6 days only so that I won't miss it, it has happened you know.

~Ceci