Music Analysis: Light Your Heart

     Can I first say how much I honestly love this song? 



     And probably more than that. 

     If you're wondering "What in the world is this thing you call 'music analysis'" let me explain. 

     So I was prodigiously cleaning out my closet one day (a three times a year task, it gets really messy) while listening to an audio drama of The Shadow of the Bear by Regina Doman, when I finished the audio drama. I was listening to it on FORMED, so I scrolled around instead of folding my shirts. Then I saw a podcast titled, Is God on Your iPod? 
It looked interesting, so I put it on. 

    Wow, it was really good. The speaker there said that "good" music is music that sounds good, and conveys a good message.

    So that, in a nutshell, is Music Analysis. I will pick out a random (not so random) song and see if it qualifies as a good song. I'm also doing this because some people (who go to the extreme) seem to think that if the music is classified as "pop" music, then it's 100% bad, which it isn't. There are plenty examples of wonder, uplifting, music that isn't Christian Contemporary. 

     Now, the song that we're going to look at is called Light Your Heart by Jorge Blanco. He sings it in a movie about Violetta. Very good movie (although they only have the English dub on Netflix 😑)

     Anywhosies.

     I got a pair of Bobs, they are sooooo comfortable. And that is totally not related :P


     So, this post is going to be divided into two parts. The first part will be shorter, as we will simply assess if it sounds good or not. Then, I'm going to post the lyrics, occasionally saying something in between a verse, and then give my thoughts on it. Finally, we shall see the verdict.

Does it sound good?

     Light Your Heart has a very good beat and tune. It's easily one of my favorite songs (a very rare thing, I'm VERY indecisive). 


Music Rating:


(*jazz hands*) 
Five Stars 

Do the lyrics convey a good message?


On the night street lights are gone

I'll be the sun so your dreams can run

Light your heart yeah, light your heart up
Light your heart yeah, light your heart up
When the waves go take you out
I'll be the sound that drowns the crowd
When you get yeah, when you get down
We're gonna sing sing sing
We got this fire in us that runs deeper than blood
So if you ever doubt, you should know by now
Whatever stars you're looking at tonight
On top of the world or alone inside
I'll always be there for you
I'll always be there for you
Whatever place no matter where you are
Even when life tries to take your spark
Nothing I wouldn't do
To light your heart
For you... for you
I'll light your heart
For you... for you
I'll light your heart
On the wire just holding on
I'll be the one when the walk is long
Till the dark yeah, till the dark falls
Till the dark yeah, till the dark falls
Fight for ya when you don't believe
Storm the kingdom and take the keys
Even when you can't see I'll light your heart
Whatever stars you're looking at tonight
On top of the world or alone inside
I'll always be there for you
I'll always be there for you
Whatever place no matter where you are
Even when life tries to take your spark
Nothing I wouldn't do
To light your heart
For you... for you
I'll light your heart
For you... for you
I'll light your heart
No matter what tomorrow brings,
We got each other through everything
No matter what tomorrow brings,
We got each other we sing, sing, sing
No matter what tomorrow brings,
We got each other through everything
No matter what tomorrow brings,
We got each other we sing, sing, sing
I'll always be there for you
I'll always be there for you
Whatever stars you're looking at tonight
On top of the world or alone inside
I'll always be there for you
I'll always be there for you
Whatever place no matter where you are
Even when life tries to take your spark
Nothing I wouldn't do
To light your heart
For you... for you
I'll light your heart
For you... for you
I'll light your heart
For you... for you


     So, my thoughts on it. 

     In the movie, Jorge Blanco plays León, the "love interest". So obviously this song is for her. But let's look at it not within the context of the movie. 

(this will probably be just a lot of rambling but bear with me)

     The main message of this song (at least from my vantage) is faithfulness. The statement "I'll always be there for you" is repeated 8 times throughout the song. And then the rest of the lyrics give the impression of faithfulness also. Especially this verse: 


No matter what tomorrow brings,

We got each other through everything

No matter what tomorrow brings,
We got each other we sing, sing, sing


     In fact, if you think about it, this song is about an ideal relationship. 


     It speaks (or sings) about helping each other out, even when the other person feels down, always being there for each other, fighting for one another, and always being there, no matter if you're, "On top of the world or alone inside".


Lyric rating:





So, what do I rate this song overall? Well, the music is great, the message the lyrics convey even better, so, I will rate this



I heartily recommend this. This is an example of good pop music.

And, for your conviniance, I will post a video of Light Your Heart. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.









2 comments:

  1. How have I never heard of this song when it's so good?! I love it now, thanks for sharing!! XD

    ReplyDelete

Heylo there! I see that you're about to comment, thank you! I have comment moderation on posts older than 6 days only so that I won't miss it, it has happened you know.

~Ceci